Friday, July 20, 2012

Champagne Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Icing


Look. Maggie Innis is my sister in law. She is my daughter's aunt and she's my friend. It was her birthday this week and she turned 17. She has done so much for me. She watches Li so I can work, shower,  and try out for American Idol. I'm broke as a joke but I still wanted to do something special for her birthday to show her that I love and appreciate her.
Maggie's love language is food. She is someone who can really appreciate a well planned meal and then also really appreciate a bacon sunday from burger king. She's a special gal. Anyway, I figured the perfect gift for her would be a fancy cake. A real butter, white flour, white sugar, fatty, fatty, bingey pants cake.  One problem: I've never made a cake. They intimidate me. But, anything for Maggie!
To be honest, my first attempt at this cake was a nightmare. I did so many things wrong and it was awful. I was going to the store yesterday morning to just buy a box-cake-mix-of-defeat when I decided to give it one more try.
I stuck Lila in her high chair with her breakfast and got to work. I creamed butter and sugar. I peaked egg whites. I buttered pans. I fed the baby. My kitchen was a disaster and the cake was a success!

Before I even give you the recipe, please learn from my mistakes.
1. know your ingredients. I used flour from a canister that I just assumed was white flour. Later, I remembered it was a wheat blend.
2. Know your recipe. The recipe called for one 9 inch round pan. So, I thought I needed to double it. False.
3. This didn't end up applying, but if you double it, double it all. I didn't double the butter. smooth move Dar.
4. If you pathetically put the cake back in the oven because it just wouldn't cook, don't fall asleep. Jordan came home 2 hours later to a burned cake, desperate housewives on, and me, asleep on the couch saying, "I just can't. I'm sorry"

Ok, are you ready? Are you awake and smart? ok good.

For the Cake You'll need:
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup champagne (pick something light and sweet)
6 egg whites

For the Icing you'll need:
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted room temp butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup strawberry preserves
1/4 cup mashed strawberries at room temp
4 cups powdered sugar

Preheat your oven to 350 and prepare to 9 inch round cake pans. I trace the bottom of mine on parchment paper and cut out two circles. butter your pan and then put in the paper and flip it once. the butter will hold the paper in place and flipping it will grease the other side.

Cream together your butter and sugar for a few minutes or until it's light and fluffy.
In a separate bowl, sift together your flour, salt, baking powder. Alternately blend the dry mixture and champagne into your creamed sugar mix. After this step, you'll end up with a dense mixture. Don't freak out. This is gonna be great.

In a separate, clean bowl, whip your egg whites until peaks form. fold a third of your egg whites into your batter just to lighten it and then fold in the rest, careful not to over mix it. Take your time here, the batter is heavy to fold but it will smooth out if you slowly stir/mix it.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until a tooth pick entered in the middle comes out clean.
allow them to cool before frosting.

While your cake is baking, you can prepare your icing. Beat the butter for 3 minutes. Add the vanilla and beat for another minute. Add your preserves and fresh berries and beat for 2 more minutes. Then, add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and then cream it all together for another 2-3 minutes. Lick the beaters.

I leveled off the top of one of my cakes to give my second layer a flat surface then I rounded out the second layer.
I iced the bottom layer first and topped it with a layer of fresh strawberry slices. Then I took the top layer and iced the bottom of it before placing it on top. I finished icing and decorated it with pearly sprinkles!!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment