Wednesday, July 18, 2012

24 hour cold pickles


Last summer I competed in my first triathlon. It was so amazing for so many reasons. However, when I look back at the event, the first thing I think about are pickles.
You see, I stayed at Lisa's house the night before the race so that they could bring Lila later. Part of my race morning ritual is drinking a black cup of coffee. So at 4 in the morning I went to turn on Lisa's keurig machine. It was flashing that it needed water and I was feeling disparate. I just happened to notice a mason jar of water sitting next to it so I dumped it in and made a cup of coffee. I hadn't turned a light on yet so I just saw the blue light shining in the water I just added. Then, I saw something floating in the water. Oh no. It was dill. Lisa had extra brine from pickles she had made sitting next to the keurig and I dumped it right on in there. It took me over ten rinses to clean the thing out. My goodness salty vinegar coffee is NOT very good :) but it's salty vinegary pickles are delicious!
My mother in law, Lisa, has been making these pickles for a long time. They're always a hit. It was one of the things that I was most excited about making from our garden. Well, here they are! They are the perfect combination of sweet, salty, and sour. They are ridiculously easy too!


All you need is:
Cucumber slices
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup canning salt (you could just use 1/3)
1/2 cup sugar
1 qt cold water
a bunch of dill
6 cloves of garlic sliced 

Garden Fresh Cuccs!

This is all you'll Need!
















Mix all your ingredients in a big bowl. (I think next time I'll use less salt because I ended up watering down my brine.) Then fill two large mason jars with slices of cucumber, garlic and dill. Layer it all in there and stuff it as much as you can. Then pour the brine over until the jar is full. Cover and leave at room temp for one day or overnight and then refrigerate to chill. My brine filled two large mason jars and I had a medium sized jar of brine left over. we ate our jar of pickles about half way down and I just added more cucumber slices and topped it off with leftover brine. You can keep doing this until you want to make new brine. It's a nice gift to bring to a barbecue and totally worth the minimal effort. 






No comments:

Post a Comment