Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer Reading List and Panko-Coconut Zucchini Fries with Sweet Chili Sauce

Hello friends! We are in the midsts of summertime and you know what?, everything is great. Personally, I have really been working, eating, and sleeping, but I am doing my best to enjoy myself and find ways to break up that routine. Lately, I have been reading daily and day dreaming about new adventures. My brother Michael is moving to Madison in the near future, and I really would like to explore what the town has to offer. I don't really know Wisconsin that well because I never really go farther than Lake Geneva when I'm visiting Darla. I'm also in need of a good camping trip. A getaway where I can see the stars and only hear the sounds of nature. One where I can sit by a warm campfire and in the morning go on an amazing day hike. If you know of any places like that, please let me know. I'm dying to go there. 

On another note, I am excited to share my summer reading list with you. I think it's a nice variety. Some are recommendations from friends, some new releases from favorite authors, and the rest I find randomly by browsing bookstores. Enjoy, and please, if you read or have read any that are listed and would like to chat, I would love that. :-)


Her: A Memoir by Christa Parravani
The Swarm by Frank Schatzing
Inferno by Dan Brown
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
The Wild Trees by Richard Preston
The Dinner by Herman Koch
Look at the Birdie by Kurt Vonnegut
Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff



I also have some food to share with you. Enjoy!

Panko-Coconut Zucchini Fries

Ingredients:
2 large zucchini and/or yellow squash, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1/8 cup panko crumbs
1/8 cup coconut flakes
1/8 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp ground pepper
2 egg whites

*if there are any other seasonings you enjoy, feel free to create a new flavor!

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Combine panko crumbs, coconut, parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Place egg whites in a separate bowl.

Dip zucchini slices in egg whites, followed by the breadcrumb mixture. Coat evenly.

Spread zucchini on baking sheet. Bake for 7 minutes. Turn zucchinis over. Bake another 6-7 minutes, or until they look golden and crispy. Serve immediately. Use Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce for some extra flavor.

Sweet Chili Dipping Sauce
yields about 1 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp water, divided
2 Tbsp organic cornstarch
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh Fresno, red Thai chilies, or red jalapeƱo peppers
2/3 cup organic sugar
1/3 cup rice vinegar
2 tsp salt

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, add remaining cup of water, sugar, vinegar, peppers, garlic, and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together 2 Tbsp water and cornstarch.
Stir cornstarch mixture into simmering sauce and cook until thickened, about one to two minutes.
Remove from heat, let cool completely. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

<3 Heika

No comments:

Post a Comment