Saturday, March 30, 2013

Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

This past month has been crazy busy for me. I recently started a second job so I can finally save enough money to move out. The crazy part though is one job schedules me in the morning and the other at night. Sometimes, if I'm super lucky, I'll get to do both in one day. It is exhausting, but I really think I am getting the hang of it. Before, all I would want to do is sleep, eat junk, watch crappy tv, and drink a lot of coffee. I'm so done feeling that way. I cannot wait for Spring to be in full bloom, for fresh food, and for fresh air!

During this past week, I have actually had some more down time, so I told myself I would make a little treat! I bought Joy the Baker's cookbook when it first came out. I even pre-ordered it, yet sadly this is the first thing I have made from it. These cupcakes are so delicious and unique, and I really want to share them with all of you. Please, do not let the avocado part weird you out. Avocado are rich and creamy, and Joy suggests they are a natural equivalent to butter. Fancy, right?! You all have to just trust me, and please let me know how they turn out! You can also double the recipe and make one 2-layer 8" or 9" cake.

Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Vegan Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
yields 12-14 cupcakes
from the Joy the Baker Cookbook


For the cupcakes:
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 c granulated sugar
1/4 cup mashed ripe avocado
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 c water
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

For the buttercream frosting:
3/4 c Earth Balance butter (at room temperature) 
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2-2 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1-2 tbsp soy or almond milk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with foil/paper liners and set aside.

For your cupcake mixture, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, avocado, oil, water, vinegar, and vanilla. Add flour mixture into the avocado mixture and fold with a spatula until everything is well incorporated. Then, fill each liner until about two-thirds full. I found it best to just spoon the batter in. Bake for 18-20 minutes. When cupcakes are done, let them cool for about 10 minutes before taking them out of the pan.

For the buttercream, place the vegan butter in an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat the butter on medium speed until soft. Next, add the cocoa powder and sugar. Mix at a low speed so powder and suger are slowly incorporated. Finally add the vanilla and almond milk. Increase the speed to medium to medium high and mix until the frosting is soft and fluffy. Spoon frosting on cupcakes and smooth with a butter knife or spoon into a pastry bag and customize your cupcakes. Top with some festive sprinkles.

Store cupcakes, well wrapped, in the fridge for up to 4 days. Enjoy!

Love, Heika

No comments:

Post a Comment