Monday, March 18, 2013

Green Curry with Tofu and Vegetables

I'm trying to get better at this...really I am. I just need to focus, that's all. I like finding new things to cook and bake, but I am terrible at allowing myself the time to do so. So, lets just say I'm starting fresh.

Darla mentioned last time I saw her that I should try a Green Curry recipe. I just have to point out though that it is extremely difficult to recreate a Thai Green Curry recipe when my local Thai place makes the best. It's worth a shot, right?

Most grocery stores sell the pre-made pastes for curry, but let's get real...nobody wants that. So why not make our own!

Fresh Green Curry Sauce:
adapted from Food and Wine


2 cups packed fresh cilantro, chopped
3 green Thai chiles, thinly sliced
1 oz fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
2 stalks fresh lemongrass, tender inner cores only, sliced
1 clove garlic
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup water
1 can (13.5 oz) unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
salt

In a food processor or blender, add cilantro, chiles, ginger, lemongrass, garlic, coriander, cumin, and water and process to a paste.

In a medium saucepan, add your paste along with the coconut milk, vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat for about 15 minutes. Salt to taste. The recipe yields about 2 1/2 cups.

Once you finish your sauce, it's time to get fancy. I'm a veggie lover rather than a meat lover, but this sauce will work for whatever your heart desires.




Green Curry with Tofu and Vegetables:


2 1/2 cups Fresh Green Curry Sauce
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup broccili
1 cup snow peas
1/2 onion
1/2 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup peppers, red/green/yellow, sliced
1/2 zucchini
1 cup extra firm tofu, cubed
1 cup basmati rice

In a wok or large saute pan, add coconut oil and onions. After a few minutes, add remaining vegetables and saute until tender. Add tofu to your vegetable melody.


Pour sauce over tofu and vegetables and let simmer for 5-7 minutes.

Add desired amount of rice and enjoy!


*To save time, I had the rice, sauce, and veggies all cooking at the same time.
*This is spicy, so to make it a mild curry dish, try and scoop out the Thai chile seeds before adding to food processor.
I'm happy that way it turned out, and I hope the leftovers are just as good! It's not Siri Thai, but it still is delicious! I hope you enjoy it too!
Love, Heika

No comments:

Post a Comment