Monday, February 25, 2013

Rosemary Eggplant Sandwich

Rosemary. What a wonderful herb it is. I have been trying to find a simple and delicious recipe that incorporates the goodness of rosemary. I admit...I have been slacking a lot and not searching very hard. But then, I realized I didn't have to even look. When I was living in Vermont, this restaurant in downtown Burlington made one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. I even put it on our to-do list when Darla came to visit me. =)

I did my best to recreate it, and I think it came out great!

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant
1 red onion
rosemary infused olive oil
12 month Cabot extra sharp cheddar
1 package of ciabatta rolls

Directions:

  • Slice both your eggplant and red onion into 1/4" slices.
  • In medium skillet, use 2T olive oil and toss in red onions. Leave in until they caramelize.
  • At 350˚, bake eggplant for about 5 minutes. Once they start to dry out a bit in oven, take them out.
  • Lightly coat eggplant in olive oil, and toss into a medium skillet. I used the same one as my onions.
  • Once onions and eggplant are done, set aside.
  • Set oven to 385˚ and place ciabatta rolls on center rack for about 5 minutes.
  • Slice roll in half and place them on a baking sheet. (Make sure you use aluminum foil)
  • Assemble sandwiches to your liking with the onions and eggplant and place slices of cheddar on top.
  • Turn on broiler and leave sandwich in until cheese melts.

Assembly



I hope you enjoy these as much as I did!

<3 Heika

No comments:

Post a Comment